Let us summarise what we’ve learnt about our new little family member at HERD. Precious Phabeni has a will of his own and a character that is so different to Khanyisa and other orphans we’ve cared for. He is an individual and as the days pass, we are getting to know and love him more and more. Getting to better understand him helps us to give him the support he needs. So what have we learnt about this little calf so far? Take a look below.
10 Facts About Phabeni
- He is a typical bull, distinctively bullish/male, very active, athletic, pushy, feisty, and stubborn.
- He was rescued at the same estimated age as Khanyisa and Jabulani.
- He sleeps about 7-9 hours a day now on average, sometimes less.
- He was likely born in the month of July, a Cancerian baby.
- He likes napping among the reeds, like a little Moses. It seems to calm him.
- He is already very attached to his carers.
- He snores.
- He gets a fright easily and does not like surprises. He is still getting to know and trust us and his surroundings and is very particular about where he allows us to touch him. He seems more reluctant to allow touch on his stomach area but is happy with his trunk being played with.
- He did not like Lammie at all in the beginning and the two were separated in different nurseries overnight. Lammie stayed out of this way but slowly they are growing on each other, and Lammie has even followed on some walks with Phabeni. He doesn’t chase her anymore.
- He has beautiful eyes that speak volumes, and a tongue that looks so pink next to his dark skin.